boxing and judo

Discussion in 'MMA Discussions' started by darren thompson, Sep 3, 2012.

1. darren thompson

darren thompson New Member

Just a quick question I'm thinking of starting boxing and judo this week is that a good starting point before going in to MMA
  2. darren thompson

And mabe if I got time I want to do some kickboxing to
  3. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to MMA Forums Darren :)

It certainly doesn't hurt having experience with another martial art before starting MMA. I had done Taekwondo for years and had done some grappling classes before doing my first MMA class.

If your ultimate goal is to do MMA then I would recommend doing MMA from the start rather than doing Judo and other arts and then switching to MMA. I'd personally recommend starting in MMA and then doing a Boxing, Kickboxing or Judo class later to compliment your MMA, rather than learning other arts first and adapting them for MMA. I don't think it's wrong to do either thing you suggested long term. Just keep training :)
  4. darren thompson

Ok thanks for the help
  5. Anton

Anton Moderator Staff Member

When HeroOfTime comes on he trains MMA as well Darren, I'm sure he'd point you in the right direction as well mate.

I'm more in training for Man Vs Food than MMA just now :D
  6. darren thompson

Ok thanks for the help I started boxing today to get my fitness up I go to the gym like but that's more waight lifting so boxing is good cardio I think aand I learn how to punch tidy in sted of wild punches I whoud of done other wise. In my local gym thay have judo,kickboxing,taekowando,karate,and aikido classes any ideas what's the best to learn first. I do what to do MMA but at the moment my fitness is not good enuff so going to start MMA after new year but I think it whoud help if I had some skills going in to it
  7. Hero Of Time

Hero Of Time Member

When getting involved in MMA you need to have three aspects of fighting to succeed. This would be the top game, such as Boxing, Kickboxing and most preferably Muay Thai. You need take downs too, which would be Judo or Wrestling and finally you need a ground game. Wrestling helps in the ground game but you'd really want to know Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

How I see it the three best arts to incorporate would be Muay Thai, Wrestling and BJJ (very important).
    However, as Kevin said it would be a good idea to find an MMA gym (they're popping up everywhere now) that will teach all of these at once as learning each different art in itself is very time consuming.

I wouldn't bother with Karate or Taekwandoe because they aren't really realistic fighting styles, they can give you an advantage if you trained in them from an early age though just because you'd have flexibility and the right training ethic etc.

I can't stress how important BJJ is in MMA!

Good luck!
  8. darren thompson

Ok thanks there are some MMA gym thay are quite expensive tho and to do that I whoud have to wait for my gym contract to run out after new year that's why I wanted to learn some basics in boxing and judo intill then it will help me with fitness know how to strike propaly and some take downs before going in to it that way its not so much info your trying to take in at one and I suppose you body whoud be yeas to takeing some betting I don't know if this makes sence to any one that is just what I thought
  9. Kevin

It depends on the organisation, the style and the instructor of the club. Many successful MMA fighters have a foundation in Karate and/or Taekwondo. Anderson Silva has a black belt in Taekwondo and he shows this with the style of some of his kicks. Georges St-Pierre still does Kyokushin Karate - which is full contact.

I've trained at a poor Taekwondo club in Colombia and they couldn't really fight. They trained Olympic rules so no punching was allowed (seriously). My own Taekwondo school has fantastic sparring. 2 of our black belts have MMA fights in a few weeks time at a show and around 5 of us do BJJ regularly too. The level is really high. Both of my friends who are fighting MMA have knocked out people using kicks or punches in previous fights, which is no doubt in part to their Taekwondo experience.

I trained in Thailand and I certainly didn't feel out my depth in sparring. In fact, the standard of regular boxing with a lot of people training was really poor and whilst they had solid kicks, they didn't have much experience in actual sparring. This isn't a criticism of Muay Thai, far from it. It's more to illustrate that many traditional martial arts have realistic fighting styles. Many don't but I don't think you should criticise the art. Just like there are good and bad Karate/Taekwondo practitioners, there are good and bad MMA clubs.

I really don't think you can say they are unrealistic though. We train with punching and kicking allowed everywhere and we also allow takedowns and holds too. It's very close to MMA rules. :) :):)

Man, the Taekwondo at the Olympics gives the art such a bad reputation haha.

If you have been going to the gym for years, you probably have a set routine. Strength training will help your martial arts though you might have to adapt what you do and switch to training that complements your MMA training rather than restrict it. Guys who are too bulky tend to gas out very quickly and their flexibility is really poor too, which means they can be tapped easily (it's a bit of a generalisation but tends to be true in my opinion).
  10. darren thompson

11. Kevin

Keep us updated. Would love to know how you get on :)
  12. darren thompson

Yeah will do went boxing yesterday it was good cardio and I learned how put a combo togetha on the pads and I now know how to throw a punch tidy instead of wild punches lol like I have done in the past lol
  13. Hero Of Time

Hero Of Time Member

Based what I said more on the success rate of fighters from these schools of fighting throughout the years in Vale Tudo match ups, Gracie challenges and original UFC events. I'm not disregarding them as I know a great many fighters have solid backgrounds in them but I believe these fighters have evolved away from the teachings into a more hybridised version that compliments MMA. I'd just like to point out that I have done karate, tkd, akeido and capoeira in the past so I'm not talking solely based on video or statistics!
    Kevin likes this.
  14. Kevin

I think it does depend on the school though. Many schools are too stuck in the mindset that everything must be traditional etc. Spending too much time on forms. And by protecting students with softer students they are really putting them in danger long term. Some fantastic fighters are still coming out of traditional martial arts. You can take something from every art.

I'd love to try aikido for the locks etc they train. Judo would be great for wrestling too. :)
  15. Anton

How is your fight training coming on hero? You looking at fights anytime soon?
  16. darren thompson

Just an update 3 training session in boxing it going really well learning a lot
    And starting to get the hang of all the cardio training to its hard but going to be worth it
    Can't wait till I got the baseics down to a tee then I can start working on some judo or bjj
  17. Anton

Quality start Darren.

Did you see the new 153 main event?
  18. darren thompson

19. mory great

mory great New Member

yes It was a better time to start the boxing . I think MMA comes up and you are ready for it .