Cung Le

Discussion in 'UFC' started by Anton, May 31, 2012.

1. Anton

Anton Moderator Staff Member

They have set up his next match, randomly against a returning Patrick Cote. Now I know Cote was a contender, but this looks like they want Le to get a win, given the heavy salary they are paying him.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

It makes sense. He's a big draw so it helps for them to give him someone that would suit his style.

No one is every guaranteed a win in MMA but the match makers have to pick matches to suit certain fighters. Dan Hardy has been accused of always being fed strikers though I personally don't have an issue with that. I'd rather watch two strikers bang it out than two wrestlers dry hump each other for 3 rounds.
  3. Anton

I agree it will make a quality fight, and I know Cote will still be dangerous. Just think it's been set up as a "showcase" for Le.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

Yeah. It probably is. I don't think the UFC is as bad as other organisations. It must be difficult for the match makers. It's hard enough getting good fighters to stay injury free, but they also have to think of style match ups too so that fights are exciting. It's perhaps less of an issue in the higher ranks.

It does makes sense to offer a fighter a lesser opponent after a loss and a better opponent after a win.
  5. Anton

Totally. And le was unlucky against Silva in a lot of ways.