Tapatalk Support Added To MMA Forums

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Kevin, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

A member of Black Belt Forums (Ed Bates) asked the other day if there was an app to view the forum on his phone. My response was that I hadn't added it as yet because it means users will need to pay $2.99 for the app in order to view the site.

After thinking the situation over, I decided to add support for Tapatalk here, Black Belt Forums and Taekwondo Forums. Those who like the app can purchase it. Everyone else has the option of viewing MMA Forums as normal via their mobile phone or switching to the mobile design via the link at the bottom left hand side of every page.

More About Tapatalk

I tried out Tapatalk last night on my iPad. On iOS there is a universal app for iPhone and iPad and an iPad specific version too. I chose the universal app by accident. I had wanted to try the iPad version out so was annoyed I downloaded the wrong one.

I took the screenshot below last night whilst viewing Black Belt Forums. Although it was taken on my iPad, the app was made for the iPhone so it's a good example of what it will look like on your phone.

[​IMG]

Tapatalk retails for $2.99 on iPhone

[​IMG]

$4.99 on iPad

[​IMG]

$2.97 on Android

[​IMG]

$2.99 on Blackberry

[​IMG]
    Google Chrome users can also download a free extension that notifies them of post updates etc via their browser.

[​IMG]

My Initial Thoughts On Tapatalk

I tried out Tapatalk on my iPad and iPhone. I downloaded the phone app for the iPad. It works well and does make it quicker to view posts etc though my initial thoughts are that it's better to view forums via a browser (e.g. Safari) on an iPad as the large screen makes it a more enjoyable experience.

After downloading the wrong app last night I sent a quick request to Apple for a refund stating that I had wanted to download the HD version. I suspect that the iPad version is much better for viewing on the iPad.

Even if the iPad specific version is great on the iPad, I can't help but think that this is an app that is more geared towards phones than tablets. Viewing the regular desktop design of this forum on a smartphone isn't great and the Tapatalk app makes reading through posts and replying much simpler. I'm still getting used to the interface though I'm kind of tempted to buy the iPad app for my iPad and keep the iPhone version for my phone.

The Chrome notifier seems pretty good too. I haven't tested Tapatalk on an android or blackberry phone though I'm sure it's a similar experience.

Tapatalk lists all of the forums you visit that use Tapatalk so if you visit several forums regularly, this could be a great app to try out. For me, browsing forums via a desktop browser and using a keyboard to type your replies remains the best solution. Though if you are looking for a good way to read forums and reply whilst on the move, I recommend checking Tapatalk out.

Here's an example of the iPhone app in action:

And the Android app:

And on the Blackberry Playbook:

If you have any questions about the app, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Kevin