Was Jon Jones Right To Turn Down Sonnen?

Discussion in 'UFC' started by Kevin, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

UFC 151 would have went ahead if Jon Jones had agreed to fight Sonnen. It's perhaps not unsurprising. Greg Jackson is known for being cautious with fights and many of his previously exciting fighters have been labelled 'boring'.

I think Jones was wrong to turn this down though. Sonnen and Henderson are both elite wrestlers so Jones must have been training for that. Henderson is arguably the better striker. They're still different fighters but it's not like Jones had to take a fight against a completely different style.

I don't imagine the fans, or Zuffa, will forget this. The UFC will have lost a lot of money with this and it's probably hurt their brand too, at least in the short term. A host of other fighters have already came out and criticised Jones for not fighting as well.

I'm not saying all fighters need to be company men though it does seem that he's been too cautious this time.

Do you think Jones was right or wrong to turn down a change of fighter at such short notice?

Kevin
  2. Hero Of Time

Hero Of Time Member

Jon Jones is just another backseat champion like Anderson Silva. It's an absolute joke that these fighters can choose their fights which leads them to longer winning streaks. Sonnen arguably doesn't deserve the title shot yet, but his willingness to step up and fight Jones on 8 days notice is fantastic.

Part of me is wondering if this scenario was put into action to start the hype train. Jones refusing to fight Sonnen is excuse enough for Chael to start being himself and selling the fight. Jones being a coward or sneaky Zuffa looking to the future and trying to break the Sonnen-Silva viewers?

The point can be made that Jones shouldn't have a title fight on such short notice but you can be sure the offer of a 5 round non-title fight was definitely an option before scraping a UFC event for the first time in 11 years.
  3. Hero Of Time

Hero Of Time Member

Chael Sonnen
    I am no longer permitted to speak ill of the former champion Jon Jones as we have come to an agreement. I will stop tearing him down verbally and in exchange he has relinquished his belt to me. I would like to read a prepared statement from the former Champion.

Mr Sonnen,

In every mans life a choice must eventually be made. Run or fight. I said I wouldn't duck any man as champion. But you are no ordinary man. You've spoken nothing but truth in your attempt to gain a title fight with me. My last act of cowardness is to hand over what you would have beaten out of me 8 days from today. The UFC LHW Title. Now I must refocus my life. Good luck Champ.

Signed,

Jon Bones Jones

P.S. I just ordered your best selling book, A Voice of Reason from amazon, I've been told by Greg Jackson that it will help me get through this tough time. Thanks
  4. Hero Of Time

Hero Of Time Member

Jon Jones will now face former champion Vitor Belfort for the UFC light heavyweight championship on September 22 in Toronto, as today's bizarre series of events has taken yet another twist.

Jones was originally slated to face Dan Henderson at UFC 151 in Las Vegas; however, Henderson was forced to withdraw this week due to a knee injury. Polarizing former middleweight Chael Sonnen was offered the replacement spot and it briefly appeared that UFC 151 would take place with Jones vs. Sonnen as the headliner. However, Jones ultimately declined the fight, forcing the unprecedented cancellation of an entire UFC event.

This morning, UFC president Dana White announced that Jones would face former champion Lyoto Machida in a rematch that would headline the UFC 152 event on September 22. Machida earned the contender spot with his showcase knockout of Ryan Bader earlier this month. But this time it was Machida who declined the opportunity, opening the door for fellow Brazilian Belfort to earn the nod.

Belfort had been penciled in to fight Alan Belcher at middlewight at UFC 153 in Rio; a replacement for that fight will be announced in coming days.
  5. Hero Of Time

Hero Of Time Member

6. Anton

Anton Moderator Staff Member

He was wrong to do it. He disrespected the sport and every other fighter on the card.

However, Chael Sonnen in no way shape or form deserved a title shot. It was a joke he was getting touted for it. So in some ways I can see Jones point.

I'm confused. maybe its the beer.
  7. Hero Of Time

Hero Of Time Member

Chael was offered the shot and he took it.. at a HUGE disadvantage. He is a champion without a belt.

Jon Jones April 2012 during an interview:

"I’m glad the UFC wanted to work with me, as well. I think they trust that I will never make them look bad. The UFC asks me to do anything and I always do it. I never tell them ‘no.’ I think I’ve had to do more marketing than any other fighter because I say no to absolutely nothing. I don’t think most champs are like that."

Strip this lying little coward of his title. RIGHT. NOW.

I also lost respect for Machida over this. (also sick that I believe Machida could have won, and that Belfort will lose)

On a side-note, there is rumours that Silva offered to fight Jones but was too late as the card had already been scrapped.. this is untrue so don't believe it. He did, however, offer to fight another LHW to save the card. Silva would have nothing to gain from fighting a random LMW so either he knew he was not going to fight (ie knew the card was scrapped) OR he is a far better guy than I give him credit for. Silva has gone up a few theoretical points in my book.. but he could prove himself what I believe he is and lose them easily.

Josh Barnett and other various fighters on twitter had very valid points, that fighters are mercenaries and should go to war at the drop of a dime.

TL;DR: JBJ is a cowardly little brat who should be stripped of his title.

8. Hero Of Time

Hero Of Time Member

PS. Dana White said in the conference call that Sonnen was offered the shot because he was one of the only fighters that could have truely saved it AND was willing to fight. Sonnen has the attitude that all fighters should have, that all champions should definitely have and Dana offered him the shot because of this.
  9. Hero Of Time

Hero Of Time Member

10. Anton

Anton Moderator Staff Member

Fair points and well researched :D
    My points about him not deserving the shot, were more to do with ability, rather than courage for stepping up at the last minute.

I'm a fan of Jon Jones the athlete, agree that as a person he is a knob!