Why Are MMA Fighters Always Getting Injured?

Discussion in 'MMA Discussions' started by Kevin, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

The latest fighter to get injured is Shane Carwin. This means the UFC have to find another guy to head their ultimate fighter series against Roy Nelson.

Over the last two years, lots of main events have been changed, moved around and cancelled because of injuries. It seems to be happening more than years ago.

What do you think is causing this?

I was listening to GSP during his pre-fight conference with Condit and he talked about how he feels better now as before he was over trained - physically and mentally. He says he doesn't train as much now and feels infinitely better.

I think this could be a big cause. I've read about so called 'gym wars' where fighters are sparring with each other at 100% (which is pretty much a real fight). I don't see how you can stop this though when so much is on the line but I suspect the UFC will be looking at the reasons why injuries are more common now.

Kev
  2. MattCMMA

MattCMMA New Member

I think the increase of injuries that have recently been shown in the UFC is because of two factors. The first and foremost I think is because of the more massive use of PED's/steriods,etc. Here is an interesting read about the use of steriods or peds in baseball and how it links to injury.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/special_report/news/2002/05/28/verducci/

The second factor would be the UFC's Health insurance. Now you can get injured as a fighter and have it taken care of for you by some of the best doctors, rehab people, etc in the world. When the UFC didn't have this insurance you could be sure those medical bills would be high and alot more fighter's choose to go on with their fight.

Just my humble opinion. :)
  3. Kevin

UFC insurance is something I hadn't thought about. You make a good point.

There's pros and cons to this. Fighters will no longer fight injured, which means that the fans are seeing fighters at their best, however it also means that more fights might be cancelled.

To their credit, UFC are being very proactive against steroid users though it's still a huge problem.
  4. Jesse Thomas

Jesse Thomas New Member

Having insurance doesn't mean you go train harder and if you get hurt..oops oh well. These guys are not training smart thats all. Lifet and run all you like but fighters should only be going 75-80% in sparring maybe but 1-2X a month. Plus all the added pressure that the UFC is putting on fighters to fight short notice fights plus the money and ect..
  5. Kevin

From what I've read, that's not the case. I've heard people like Rampage talking about going at it in sparring to the point where someone gets knocked out. It's not training smart.
  6. johnnyaway

johnnyaway New Member

It seems to me that ever since they got the medical insurance injuries have skyrocketed.